Saturday, April 26, 2008

Great Swamp, South Kingstown

April 20, 2008

Several years ago a co-worker recommended Ken Weber's Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island. My oldest son was having some difficulty dealing with the fact that he was no longer an only child. This was a good (and cheap) way for us to bond. We did many of the Arcadia hikes plus some other ones over the next several years. That five year old boy recently turned twelve and I took him, his youngest brother (six) and met up with my brother-in-law, his wife, and their two young children. My middle boy and his mom had playstation paddles stuck to their hands, so they stayed behind.

Because we all had other things going on earlier in the day, we got a late start. It was after 3:00 when we finally reached the parking lot. My sister-in-law pulls out an umbrella stroller for her infant son. I didn't consider the logistics of bringing an infant. Luckily I chose one of the few trails one can bring a stroller on. We follow the trail as the book suggests.

I had not re-read the trail description prior to the hike. Bad habit. I tried to get my oldest to read it on the car ride, but he wasn't motivated. The holly was the first thing we noticed at the start of the trail. Most people think of holly as a fairly low growing shrub. Here you will find trees, upwards to thirty feet tall. I remember seeing a giant holly tree at the Scout campground Aquapaug, not far from where we were. Next time I'm there I will make a point to estimate it's height.

Half way to Worden pond I tell the boys of the hangar. My oldest has no memory of our first hike. They were excited. The twelve year old asks me what it looks like exactly. Was it sloped on both sides? Yes, I said, with a hook on the top. He looks at me blankly. I drew a picture for him in the dirt. He didn't get it, but my youngest did. We continue on.

When we get to Worden pond, I discover that the hangar is no longer there. I'm fairly sure it was there seven years ago. All that remains is a concrete platform. We linger there before continuing on our way.

We reach the fields described in the book. I came to an intersection and two people on bicycles came by. I ask which way to the marsh and they said something and pointed in the way they were heading (right). It wasn't too long before I figure out that we had made a wrong turn (a hallmark of my hikes). It is getting late so we just pressed on. Soon the younger members of the party will grow tired. No wildlife marsh, no osprey nests. Next time, I promise.

The last leg is rather uneventful. We see dog and horse tracks, horse poop, plus what I'm fairly sure it coyote scat. My sister-in-law guessed it was cat poop, but I show her the illustration from Scat and Tracks of the Northeast and she agrees with me. Cat may have been involved, but merely as an ingredient.

It is just past 6 and we had hiked maybe five miles. The biting insects are not out yet, the weather was great, and the sun was still strong in the sky. Despite not seeing the marsh, it was a good hike. I'm looking forward to my next.

No comments: