Monday, September 8, 2008

Huge disappointment

September 8, 2008

Walking on a wooded trail brings me such pleasure. I can't explain it. But of all the hiking I've done, I've never been backpacking. Ever.

The Boy Scouts of America announced backpack training for leaders. My curiously was sparked. Of course, I had to fit it into my schedule and budget. I agonized over my decision for the entire summer. Just days before the deadline, I found a backpacking tent for $18 at the Sports Authority. A 25 degree mummy sleeping bag was also on sale. I borrowed an external frame backpack and signed up for training.

Then I learned that the training was cancelled.

Huge let down. Only one other person signed up. The leader promised to offer it again next year. Man, I hope so. I am aching to go.

Other than a Cub Scout overnight in October and a Cub Scout hike in January, I have little on the agenda. Maybe I'll take one of my boys to Pachaug this Sunday. Or maybe I'll grab two days on the North-South trail. Campmor has a frame backpack on sale ...

4 comments:

Deb Kingsbury said...

Hi, Fred...

Have you looked into any hiking clubs in the area, where you might find a buddy or small group to do an over-nighter with? When Steve and I lived there years ago, we were members of the North-South trail group and met some nice folks. I'll bet if you went backpacking for just two days and one night, you'd probably say, "Hey, this ain't hard!" (Well, except for the ground, maybe, unless you have a good pad.) But I backpacked for six months straight (on the A.T.) and never really got my system down. I was always tweaking things, like how I organized my pack, my routine when setting up and breaking down camp, cooking, etc. And, of course, the weather has a funny way of throwing curve balls at you. I'll look forward to reading about your first backpacking trip when it happens!

Fred Theilig said...

Of course you're right. The reason I was so focused on this trip is because I need a good excuse when I spend my free time and money. With three boys I'm deep into scouting, so scout training gave me a good excuse for the time and was fairly cheap ($60 for two weekends, not including transportation). Hey! They still have my money!

I will probably just go and do it. The only part that I'm really uncomfortable with involves the little orange shovel.

Oh, you can be sure I will blog about it.

Deb Kingsbury said...

Hey, speaking of that little orange shovel, have you heard of the book, "How to S--t in the Woods?"

Fred Theilig said...

I have seen the book, but I've never picked it up. Had I done the backpacking, I've learned that the campsite has composting toilets. Way better than walking off trail and digging a cat hole.

Still waiting for that refund!