Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frenchtown Park, East Greenwich

Friday, July 17

July is Scout Camp and this year was no different. I intended on spending my time better than in years past, so I planned on taking a hike around Yawgoog Pond and becoming Wilderness First Aid certified. I found no time for the former, so no hike to report there. As far as the second is concerned, I am now certified to apply first aid, provided I drag the victim into the wilderness first.

I asked a co-worker where I should hike this Friday. He told me of a property owned by the East Greenwich Land Trust. Despite being assured to the contrary, I had low expectations for this hike. A fairly small piece of land, broken up by housing developments. I didn't expect to be able to spend more than a half hour looking around. Happily, I was wrong.

Frenchtown Park is on Frenchtown Road, west of route 2. There is parking behind a building that appears to have been an elementary school in a previous life. Here is a shot of the trail map I SHOULD have taken BEFORE the hike so I could refer to it. I thought I got more of the map. There is another wide area North of what the photo shows. The narrow part it between two housing developments. I stepped on the trail at 3:15.

You start south of the beautiful mill pond and walk over two dams. I went east to view the ruins of former mill buildings that are popular with people who drink "Natural Light" and enjoy burning trash. I lingered for a while and crossed the stream. There are a lot of side trails here, many of which lead nowhere.

I headed back to the pond then continued west on a wide and flat trail that lead out of the forest. Doubling back, I walked north to see the other half of the property. At this point I was very close to private property. Unfortunately, water soon made the way impassable to me and my work sneakers, so I turned around.

I dawdled on some side trails. I didn't have any difficulty judging my location. Using the streams, the mill pond, and the forest road as landmarks, I was always certain of my position. I helps that I was carrying my work Blackberry which has Google Maps.

Back at the dam I turned onto another side trail to kill more time. Here I found this little friend making haste. It's quite difficult to take a clear photo of a fast moving beetle while holding a cell phone camera. This is about the best possible.

Back to the dam I ran into the first people I saw, two boys on bicycles. I soon saw more walkers. It was 4:30 when I got to my car.

It was cool to see the mill ruins and rivers always make hikes more interesting. I sent a couple photos to my co-worker, but he didn't reply. I'll find out Monday if he got them. Next weekend I go to the White Mountains. Can't wait.

2 comments:

Graham Cracker said...

Loved this walk/hike. Went with my son and his family including children ages 12, 9, and 5. Some easy walking and some rocky, but level climbing. Beautiful waterfall, and pond. We found some old barbed wire, saw a woodpecker, a duck, a frog swimming, tadpole eggs, Laurel bushes and "skunk cabbage" (not sure of the real name). The trail was clearly marked, and had several benches along the way for resting. Loved it!

Fred Theilig said...

I should take another trip. Kinda surprised it's been four years. It was rather delightful.