Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cub World, Pascoag

Saturday, November 7th

It's been a while. Back in the spring my schedule changed so that I got out of work at 2:30 and had until 5:30 to walk a natural place. Well, my Karate was rescheduled to 6:30 and my son's was moved to 5:30, which meant I had to drive home to Cranston, then back to North Kingstown with my son. This left little or no time for hiking.

This past weekend was our pack's annual sleepover. Cub World, a theme style overnight camp in Burriville, has become a favorite. This year we slept at Pease High Seas, with two pirate ship style cabins. A heated lighthouse provided a place for breakfast. Only eight scouts attended. This year we left for camp the same day as Scouting for Food bag pickup, which meant we got a late start. I was the first to arrive around 2:00 pm.

Part of my agenda is a quick hike. Running short of daylight, five scouts and a sister followed me around the campground. I took no pictures. We spoke of the buddy system, the ten essentials, and the six points of Leave No Trace. Yea, I know, there are seven points, but for cub scouts there are only six.

If the walk was more than a half mile, I'd be surprised. I haven't found a good marked trail that crosses Cub World. If somebody knows of one, I'd like to do a couple miles. Assuming, of course, that I manage to book the site before daylight savings time ends.

No comments: