Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Flume Trail, New Hampshire

Saturday, July 23, 2011

My brother-in-law, buddy, and I traveled north for our annual "Guys Hike". This time it was to be the Flume Trail, which Lou did when he was much younger. We were looking for something a little less strenuous than what we've done in the past.

Funny thing, though. We weren't entirely sure where this trail was. We weren't too concerned, though. Climb up, get to top, climb down, drive back to campsite. As long as we accomplished those goals, the details weren't terribly important.

The trail we were on took us past picnic areas over a paved path. The river was off in the distance.


Soon we were in the forest proper.


After what we presumed to be the Flume Slide (no pictures) we started to reach overlooks.



And, here we are at the top (that's Lou looking like a pirate).




And then back down.

That's the caretaker's shelter. He came out and spoke for a bit. He lives there for the summer and does stuff like remove illegal camp sites and keep an eye on the hikers. He is payed a small amount to live there for the summer and has to weather some real bad conditions occasionally. I kinda envied him.

Despite the smiles on my face, I really didn't enjoy this hike. I was in as good of shape as ever and this climb does not come close to Washington in terms of difficulty, but had some serious moments of doubt. I kept going on for no other reason than to not disappoint my friends. Maybe age is catching up with me.

No comments: