Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Narragansett, near Bonnet Shores, again

My plan was to hike Durfee Hill last Sunday, but the weather wasn't shaping up. Today I decide to walk out to where I saw the animal jaw and recover it. I brought a grocery bag with me. I didn't have much time, so I made a bee-line to where I saw it. Before I got there I was startled yet again by a ribbon snake. Of all the hikes I've been on I've never seen so many snakes! This one I got a close look at. A little over a foot in length. Cool.

I got to where I saw the jaw bone and I was unsurprised to find it missing. I spent a few minutes scanning there are, but to no avail. I head back to work. Just before I get to the office I realize my identification badge is missing. The holder was empty. I make a plan to retrace my steps right after work.

At work's end I drive to the old church. I walk back out to where I was before and on my return I find the jawbone. It had travelled several yards. I no longer had the bag, but I happened to find a paper towel in my pocket. I was pretty sure this was is a deer jaw. I had checked the internet earlier. I wonder what took it down? I saw coyote scat on the trail. Deer are all through this area. Deer tick central. Back in March I decided to follow a critter trail for a bit and back at the office I discovered an adult deer tick crawling on my pants. Not very comforting.

Back at my car I put the bone into the back seat. Still without my ID, I decide to walk a small piece back to the office. Halfway back I find my badge. Apparently I discovered it missing not 100 yards from where I dropped it. Go figure.

No comments: