Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sprague Farm, Chepachet

May 18, 2008

The Rhode Island Wild Plant Society puts on many walks and lectures over the course of the year, and I have not had the opportunity to do any of them. Until today.

Today's walk and talk, on a beautiful piece of land just west of Chepachet center, deals with the transition between the Northern Hardwood and the Central Hardwood forest types. Typical of the Northern forest are trees like Striped maple and Atlantic White Cedar, otherwise unknown in Rhode Island. Leader Garry Plunkett's encyclopedic knowledge, energy, and enthusiasm made for a wonderfully interesting and informative walk.

Sprague Farm is an abandoned farm turned forest, managed by the Glocester Land Trust. Jedediah Sprague purchased the property in parts starting back in the Revolutionary War. Jedediah was a tavern owner and patriot. There are quite a few references to him on the internet. May have been a General. The foundation remains of his son's houses are still present. There is a well hole that still looks usable. I am told another foundation has a 175 year old tree growing out of it, showing how long ago this property was abandoned. We did not pass by it.

The paths are wide but mostly unmarked. ATV tracks, not allowed without special permission, are seen throughout. There is significant trail damage because of it. A couple times we had to trek off trail to avoid a large and deep puddle caused by the ATVs. On one such excursion I saw some unusual scat. Checking through my Scat and Tracks of the Northeast (Halfpenny, Bruchac) it appears to be Canada Lynx. I'm not saying it is, but that's what the scat looked like. I wish I took a photo. It also resembles the drawing for mountain lion. No, I simply do not want to go there.

Last summer I met a man who was convinced there were mountain lions in Rhode Island. In the greater Providence area, no less. I'm not a believer. This could have been ATV rider's scat for all I know. There was no fur evident.

My boy was quite through with the woods for the day after an hour and a half, so I paid Garry for the talk (five bucks a person for non-members, cheap!) and we headed out, not stopping to identify the wildflowers.

No comments: