Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cocumscussoc State Park, North Kingstown

Friday, May 29

Don't ask me to pronounce it. I'm not good with Indian names.

The legality of access to this tract of land is in question. According to this web page, there is access and legal hunting. According to someone I spoke with, who was in a position to know, it's off limits. I took a look around anyhow.

It had rained earlier in the day, so I was doubting that I could get very far inside. I found the access point at Richard Smith Grove (a small picnic area on route 1, just North of Wickford), and went in.

The unmarked trail was fairly easy to follow. It took me quite a while before I was out of sight of private property to the north and out of earshot of busy route 1. Some of the trail was ATV accessible and I saw evidence of tracks. I also saw a couple human footprints. I kept my ears open for sounds of hunters, but there were none. I had a legal orange vest in my backpack that would have gone on at first gunshot.

There wasn't much to look at. A slug on a birch tree, some running water, and mosquitoes. Not nearly as swampy and impassible as the above document implied. Soon, though, the path went wet and I had to stop. I couldn't see a path around and had no interest in bushwhacking, so I turned around and hiked back to my car.




The property appears to go a little over a mile from Route 1, but I doubt I got very close to a half mile in. Maybe, if the will existed, one could design, cut, and mark proper trails, put in a couple platform bridges, and we'd have a fair nature trail. Maybe a North Kingstown resident could suggest it.

4 comments:

Daisypicker5 said...

Great site!!! I really need to do more outdoor stuff. Funny how the boy scouts couldn't read the compass and the map. I actually went hiking in the south of France near Biarritz, and when I was driving to the mountain my tire went flat and I had no idea how to change it. A helpful stranger gave me a hand but I think everyone should know how to change a tire especially if you are going on a long trip somewhere. I found this video a couple of months ago that explains how to change a tire but I wish I had had watched before http://www.howcast.com/videos/114840-How-To-Change-a-Flat-Tire

Fred Theilig said...

Thanks. To be fair to the boy scout (that was the Fisherville Brook hike, right?), he was new.

I've never been hiking outside of the USA, but then again, I seldom leave the state.

Thanks again.

Andy Hammond said...

Gee Fred, sounds like you missed out on the gorgeous shoreline beauty there. This spot is a trading post for the settlers of 1680.

Fred Theilig said...

That part of the property is to the West of Route 1, not on Wickford harbor. It's the inland sections that attract me more, anyhow.