Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fisherville Brook, Exeter

Friday, May 15

My work hours were changed and now I have three hours to kill on Fridays between when I get off and when I have to be at karate. What is there to do in, or near, North Kingstown? Not too much, it would seem. You can browse the dollar store only so many times.

Then it hit me! Take a hike!

Friday after Friday came and went before the stars lined up. I drove to the ASRI Fisherville Brook Wildlife Refuge in Exeter, parked, then walked onto the trail. Then I walked back off of the trail. I had assumed I was on the North, red loop, but the blazes were actually blue. I was actually on the part South of Pardon Joslin road. It was listed as 1.25 miles, but because I included the yellow blazed, Cedar Swamp loop, I'm guessing it was closer to 1.4 miles. At the South end of the property I picked up the orange loop for another mile or so.

What a gorgeous piece of land! It's rare that I get to take a walk all by me onesies, but it seems it's now a routine event. I walked without my regular gear. I usually over prepair, but this time, because of the length, I had nothing but the ASRI map and my car keys. No water, no snack, no compass, no nothing. The trail was well marked, fairly flat, and easy going.

Benches, both park style and log constructed, are located throughout. The day was hot and I walked with purpose. Sometimes it's hard to slow down, but I was just coming from work and I had a deadline. The canopy was fairly open so a fair amount of sunlight filtered down. Part of the trail borders fields for even more sun.

There is an historic cemetery, an beautiful pond, and a waterfall. It occurred to me later why I've never made it to this delightful hike. It's not in the Walks and Rambles. Not my copy, anyhow. I'll have to see if it's in the forth edition.

I slowed down, even sat for a moment, the closer I got to the parking lot. I was ahead of schedule. I got to karate with lots of time to spare. This would be a great hike for cub scouts.

No comments: