Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fisherville Brook - the red and white loops

Friday, May 22

I completed the rest of Fisherville Brook on the other side of Pardon Joslin road. Warned that there may be ticks on this trail, I tucked my jeans into my socks. If there is anything in life that makes you feel more like a dork than tucking your pants into your socks, I don't want to know about it. Small price to pay, I suppose.

yes, I was wearing blue jeans. Coming straight from work, you know. I did bring my hiking day pack, so I had a little water and munchies. With the whole shebang less than 2.5 miles, there was little chance of starvation.

While the South side had the water feature, North side had towering white pines. My pack had a tree finder in it, which gave me the opportunity to identify a pignut hickory. No nuts just yet. Mostly the forest consisted of pines and red maples, with a few oaks, birch, and beech scattered around. The caterpillars are running. I ran into many silks dropping from trees. I hate that feeling.

I did the red loop clockwise. Near the end of the loop, I crossed to the inner white loop counter-clockwise. I took any chance I could find to waste a little time.

It was hot and I drank my half liter. I knew it took about 35 minutes to get from the parking lot to the North Kingstown YMCA, but I still ended way too soon. I had a good half hour to kill waiting for class to start. Next time, maybe I'll visit Big River.

No comments: